RL Nav Bar Home outlines RL Nav Bar About, outlines Photobucket

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dump Cake

The final product. Just before it heads to the oven.

When my husband's grandmother taught me this recipe, I was ecstatic. I think I fell in love with it because it was a recipe that pleased everyone (amazing!) and it was one that I could memorize. There is something so satisfying about walking into your kitchen and whipping something up without pulling out a cookbook. Granted, it's not biscuits and gravy from scratch (I'm still trying to master that one!) but it's a feat no less.


Because it only has four ingredients, it's my go-to for church potlucks and one that I like to pass on to our teenagers when they graduate and head to college. I consider it a life skill. And there's not even any chocolate involved! Go figure!


1 can pie filling, any flavor
1 box cake mix - butter golden recipe, butter pecan, yellow...basically whatever is in my pantry
pecans, chopped
1 stick of butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour the pie filling into a 13x9 glass pan. Spread it out evenly. To add moisture, I typically add about 1/3-1/2 cup of water to the empty pie filling can, swirl it around to pick up any leftover yummy-ness, and then pour it over the filling. Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the pie filling. It's going to look like tiny little mountains. That's OK. Sprinkle the pecans over the top. I like a lot, you may not. Pour the melted butter evenly over top of everything. Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until golden. If you undercook it (which I seem to ALWAYS do) it will be a little doughy, but our family likes it that way. A recipe you can't mess up? Yes, please!

I don't have a final product picture because I baked this one for a church potluck and cooking for Sundays typically leaves zero extra time. I also made a broccoli slaw that I'll have to share with you another day. It makes my heart sing.

**What's the best part about this recipe? The fact that when you use a different flavor of pie filling, everyone thinks you've created an entirely new dessert!**

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each and every comment! Thank you for stopping by!