RL Nav Bar Home outlines RL Nav Bar About, outlines Photobucket

Friday, March 26, 2010

The "Lots of Potential" Chair

This is my "lots of potential" chair. Not just because of what I saw in it that freezing cold day at the thrift store. And not just because it had a TEN dollar price tag on it. Did I mention the brand name "Broyhill" is imprinted underneath the seat?? No, I call it my "lots of potential" chair because of the plans I had for it in my home. We have lots of people over. On any given week it is possible for us to have upwards of twenty teenagers from church roam through, not to mention our friends and all of their kids in tow. Needless to say, we need the seating. We were given a precious antique turn-of-the-century dining set (complete with horse hair cushions) that we are so thankful for but one by one, the "antique" chairs have broken (sometimes while people were sitting in them...but that's another story). We haven't thrown them away (all you antique lovers can take a deep breath), but until we figure out how or decide to throw money into fixing them, they sit nicely in a corner of our garage.



At Thanksgiving and Christmas all of the families end up around our table(s) so folding chairs, ottomans, stools, office chairs - you name it, just about every possible sitting surface is pulled up and used as a seat. So when I saw this little darling, I knew I had to scoop it up and turn it into something we could use.


Isn't she cute? I loved the legs and the details on the back.

But G-R-O-S-S. I don't even want to think about what these stains are from. The fabric HAD to go. Thankfully the foam and padding underneath were in great condition. My mom had to talk me into using it because I couldn't help but think that those stains seeped into everything (shudder). All she had to do was remind me how very expensive nice foam padding is and I was back on track.



After unscrewing the seat from the base, I used a little of my favorite liquid deglosser or liquid sandpaper. I learned that trick from Traci. I think I re-read her site five times before I started my first refinishing project. She's a great resource so go check her out (and tell her Sarah sent you).


Then I sprayed her down with a couple of coats of Rustoleum's Heirloom White. When dry, I rubbed the edges and a lot of the visible surfaces with a light sandpaper to distress it just a bit. I'm not a huge distressing fan, but I think a little goes a long way. I may change my mind on that so don't hold me to it.



I didn't use an undercoat or base because I wanted the natural wood color to shine through just a bit from the sanding. Just right to me.

Some cheap cotton fabric later and it's just right. I chose a cheap, funky pattern because I know I'll want to change the fabric over the years. I didn't want to commit to an expensive upholstery fabric and then be sad later. It's all simply stapled underneath so it's an easy change if I get restless. For now she lives in my red toned office and I love the light blue contrast to the dark walls.

I just purchased a shower curtain that will soon become office window treatments or "mistreatments" as the Nester would say. I'm also planning to make a flea market find trip this weekend, so check back to see what does or doesn't (even more fun) make the cut.

I'm linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick's before & after party.

Have you made any fun flea market finds lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each and every comment! Thank you for stopping by!