RL Nav Bar Home outlines RL Nav Bar About, outlines Photobucket

Monday, June 14, 2010

Birthday Presents Under $5

We attended a birthday party for one of our distant (but loved:) relatives this past weekend. We had such a fun time together...until my child peed all over me. As a general rule, I'm done partying once I'm covered in urine. I'm just sayin'.

I wanted to give the birthday boy something special but I couldn't afford to purchase a big gift so I had an excuse to had to get creative.

I made a super-cute guitar onesie thanks to Trey and Lucy's guitar pattern that I used as a guide for the design.

Somehow I managed to forget to take pictures of this when it was complete. But the birthday boy's momma love, love, loved it, so that's all that matters.
And I followed one of my favorite sewing blogger's tutorials to make this little beauty:


You can find it on The Pleated Poppy.



I wasn't sure that I believed her when she said this was an easy project, but it absolutely was.

And because I'm cheap (in a good way), here's my total cost for the birthday gift:
Fabric was scraps but were originally just fat quarters. I think I paid a dollar for them to begin with. I used a stray button I had in my sewing bag, and an unused hair elastic I had in my bathroom to secure the crayon roll.

The onesie was from a four pack I grabbed on clearance at Kohls for around $10. And the crayons were $1.70

Total cost: $4-ish. Not bad for a present that the birthday family absolutely loved!

Here is a link to another great and easy (!) tutorial that I've used in the past as a guide for homemade birthday or baby shower gifts. I've made these and lived to tell about it, so give 'em a try. I'll take blog tutorials over store-bought sewing patters any day! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love the handmade gifts- and your pictures of them are fabulous as well! :)
    Also, I wanted to tell you that your comment about my father-in-law and your prayers for our family mean so much to me. I love the way we are united in Christ to people we haven't ever met... and I am floored that you would be in prayer for us. I attribute all of the little graces of the last month or so to God's graciousness and people's prayers- so thank you.
    kirstin @ kojo

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment! Thank you for stopping by!