RL Nav Bar Home outlines RL Nav Bar About, outlines Photobucket

Monday, July 26, 2010

Ruffle Baby Blanket

You'll Need:
2 coordinating fabrics, 1 yard each
4 1/2 yards ruffle trim
thread

Squaring up the fabric is the bane of my existence during most projects. I want it to fit together perfectly but it almost never, ever works that way. My mom (the seamstress) keeps reminding that it usually isn't that big of a deal unless you're quilting. But I think I'm about to start quilting soon...then what will I do?!!

This is an extra step, but it was a must for me. My blanket is 34 1/2" square. I pinned the sides of both fabrics, right sides together, so that they were as even as I could get them.

Then I used the very scientific and professional corner-cutting method of using a glass bowl to round out the corners. This will make it easier to sew the ruffle all in one swoop. (And I like the rounded corner look for this fabric.)

Mark the fabric (you'll cut this ink off or sew over it...no worries)

Now sew the ruffle trim along the right side of one of your fabrics. I followed the seam already on the trim as my guide.

When your ends meet, you'll have to cut the trim so it will fit nicely. You can use your excess to make a matching burp cloth (tutorial coming next). Fold over the ends so they butt up against each other. My machine had a little trouble making it over the fold, so you may have to manually turn your needle. And don't forget to backstitch a few times!
Here's what you'll end up with...
And this bugs me. So at this point I sewed the ends together, just overlapping them ever so slightly. (This is the before picture...)
Now add in your other fabric and pin it right sides together to your ruffle-trimmed fabric.
Don't forget to leave an opening so you can turn it! I pinned on my pink fabric, the fabric I had just sewn the trim on. It was counter-intuitive, since I was sewing the green fabric on, but that way I could follow the seam I had just made. Fewer seams, prettier project.
After you sew the second side, turn your fabric, press the edges, and topstitch around the edges, right next to the ruffle. This will make the blanket lie flat, and keeps your ruffle seams (inside your blanket) from bunching up. And it closes up your seam opening that you left for turning.

And here it is! I just love how it turned out!
Think I should iron before I give her this one??!! Yikes!
I made a matching burp cloth and I'll post that tutorial soon. This was an easy afternoon project, so give it a try! And don't forget to send me a link/email me if you decide to make one as well...I'd love to see it!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Cute baby blanket! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so cute! And it sounds pretty easy to make, too! I've always been afraid to try baby blankets, but I may have to give this one a go!

    Thanks for commenting on my froggy carry-all! It was fun to make and it's fun to see him playing with it too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment! Thank you for stopping by!