RL Nav Bar Home outlines RL Nav Bar About, outlines Photobucket

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Homemade Valentine

Every Valentine's gift needs a homemade valentine, right?
I made my precious grandmother, Gigi, a Valentine's wreath this week, but I just knew she needed a homemade valentine to go with it. Something my 2-year-old could scribble his signature on so she could see his "beautiful" penmanship.

I started with heavy white card stock, cut a heart shape out of it and taped a decorative square of scrapbook paper behind it. This may sound easy, but it almost cost me a finger. Me and scissors - apparently not a good combination.

And if I were an avid scrapbooker, I would have just the right sized hole punch I needed. But I'm not, and I don't. So my handyman hubby came up with the idea to punch holes by driving a nail partially into the paper. Genius! Oh, I love that man.
And if I were a knitter or crocheter (is that even a word?) I would have a needle large enough to thread yarn through. But I'm not, and I don't. So I tied thread tightly around one end of the yarn and threaded that through an embroidery needle. You can see my contraption above.
Finished threading? Tie off a double knot and tape over it. Almost done...
But all that taping, threading, knotting nonsense isn't all that pretty. So I cut a coordinating piece of lighter weight card stock and used it to cover my mess, leaving a tiny little bit to peek through to the other side.
Now Gigi will have a homemade valentine from three of her biggest fans.
And, look! It matches the wreath!

Found any favorite homemade valentine ideas lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each and every comment! Thank you for stopping by!