RL Nav Bar Home outlines RL Nav Bar About, outlines Photobucket

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Upcycling Halloween Candy

I've already admitted I'm not a Halloween fan. But remember how candy was one of its redeeming factors? It most certainly is. And I stand by my claim. But I'm also noticing there's a little too much of it hanging out in my pantry. Maybe you can relate?

I also noticed that my name was next to "dessert" in the email sign-up for our weekly potluck dinner with friends. Perfect timing, perfect combination.

Halloween candy galore
+ not wanting to go to the grocery store again
= this heavenly concoction


But it's not all saturated fats and hydrogenated oils around here. You already know about my sneaky recipes, so this one should come as no surprise. Have you been hearing the buzz about Black Bean Brownies? I have. And I just did not believe it. It seemed a little too good to be true, in my opinion. But this Halloween Leftovers Trifle calls for brownies, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to test it out.

The basic idea is that you drain and rinse a can of black beans, then fill the can (with beans in it) with water, then puree it all. Then you add the puree to the brownie mix instead of the traditional ingredients that go along with it. No oil. No eggs. No nothing. Just brownie mix and beans. Sounds absolutely disgusting, doesn't it?

I wish I had a picture of my facial expression as I poured pureed black beans into my beautiful, chocolatey brownie mix.

The results?
Not too bad, actually. They are super dense, and not quite as chocolately as the real thing. But all in all, I'd make them again. Hey, a brownie packed with fiber and protein that doesn't tempt me every time I pass by? Sounds like a winner to me.

Which leads me to the reason the brownies are here...and a recipe that will tempt you every time you open the fridge.
Halloween Leftovers Trifle

1 brownie recipe, prepared
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding (6 serving size)
16 oz frozen whipped topping
1 1/2 C milk
Candy bars, crushed
Chocolate syrup, for garnish

Prepare brownie mix and bake according to package directions in a 13x9 pan. Cool and crumble.

Prepare chocolate pudding mix according to package directions, omitting half of the milk. Let cool, then fold in 8 oz of the whipped topping.

Layer brownies, chocolate pudding, crushed candy bars, whipped topping.

Repeat, finishing with whipped topping. Garnish with crushed candy bars, and chocolate syrup.

Chill 8 hours.

If you can keep your hands off of it for 8 hours, you'll have this:

Not a bad way to use up leftover Halloween candy, huh? I can't wait to see the reactions from our friends after they realize they just devoured a dessert filled with black beans. Have you tried these sneaky brownies yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read each and every comment! Thank you for stopping by!